University College, Mangalore, formerly known as Government College from glorious past is marching ahead towards a bright future. “To be the centre for knowledge to all sections of the society” is the guiding spirit of this institution. Going through the trajectory through which it has traversed, it is obvious that collective wisdom of people of Mangalore did a lot to realise the vision of founding fathers of this College.
Though the College was started in 1868 as provincial school; it had to wait up to 1902 to welcome girls to pursue higher education. Inheriting a rich tradition of imparting quality education to the needy and the marginalised, the institution has remained committed to the cause for which it came into existence. Under the stewardship of great educationists and administrators like Prof. Govinda Krishna Chettur (G.K Chettur) the College introduced an enlightened world through frontiers of knowledge to the needy and the deprived. Education that was imparted in this great institution was powerful enough to shape great personalities who left a lasting impression in the history of this country.
During 1993, The Government College, Mangalore was handed over to Mangalore University by the then Chief Minister and proud Alumni’s of the College Dr. M Veerappa Moily. From 1993 the College started regaining its past glory and started its journey towards a bright future. The College is now recognised as College with Potential for excellence by University Grants Commission (UGC) and is accredited with ‘A’ grade by NAAC.
Ravindra Kalabhavana Complex is restored with a special grant of 1.83crores by UGC under the scheme, “Granting of Heritage Status to College”. Mangalore University contributed Rs.67 lakhs to the UGC grant and the restoration project is completed at a total cost of Rs.2.5crores. The College offers 4 undergraduate programs and 5 post-graduate programs. Thanks to the efforts and initiative of Prof. K. Byrappa, former Vice Chancellor of Mangalore University, who took imitative to recognise the qualified faculty of the College as research supervisors.
A Strong Alumni Association, very supportive Parent Teacher Association, dedicated team Teaching and Administrative Staff, energetic and enthusiastic Students, have been responsible in taking the College, close to heart and mind of people of this region. It is my humble request to all our alumnus to get connected with the alma mater. Having completed 150the years of fruitful existence, the tradition of excellence the successful saga of the University College continues with renewed vigour.
Dr. A.Harisha., M.Sc., Ph.D.